Monday, February 1, 2010

Man of the Moment: Peter Sarsgaard

I recently saw An Education starring Carey Mulligan (from Pride and Prejudice) and Peter Sarsgaard. I had been interested in seeing it... but my best friend, Brennwyn, had already seen it, so one afternoon I kind of kidnapped my mom and took her to the Angelika in Dallas. (Love you mom!) Well the movie itself was great... I recommend it. It was funny, thought-provoking, and very colorful. (Oh and the clothes were fabulous as well!)

Well anyways, Sarsgaard was amazing. He was so good at being charming and a little chemically unbalanced and detached, and you couldn't decide whether to love him or hate him or pity him. Well, he was great... very smart.

Not even two weeks later I was "working on homework" and watching Garden State... a movie I'm not sure if I even like that much... (I've seen it at least five times, and never really enjoy it... I like the special features more than I like the actual film.) But anyways, sitting in "his" living room doing ecstasy and smoking from a homemade bong is Peter Sarsgaard, as Zach Braff's old high school buddy. I was totally weird-ed out, but knowing it was actually him made the movie slightly more entertaining for me.


Well anyways, I just think he's super adorable and talented and charming... and he just got married and had a baby! Congrats to him! He's married to the über-fabulous Maggie Gyllenhaal (it's cute... they both have surnames with a double vowel...) but anyways... they're a nice match. Here's a little clip from David Letterman where she kind of talks about him... it's more funny than a testament about his wonderful charisma... if you have the time, watch it... it's almost slightly awkward... the "kid's mother" and "kid's father" bit is great.



Okay and then I find this interview between him and Carey Mulligan absolutely hysterical! It's kind of terrible and all inside jokey until about a minute in when he says that his biggest qualm about playing his character in An Education was that he didn't know how to act Jewish... he's a thinker, that one.



Oh but what makes it even better is that when he's talking about "what does it mean to be Jewish?" the guy interviewing him is making those understanding noises like "mm hmm" and "yeah"... it's not like Sarsgaard has come up with some huge philosophical thing here... I dunno... I found it quite entertaining... until they stopped talking about "what it means to be Jewish". Oh well. He's a good actor, and that's really the whole point to the story.

He has a nice smirk, doesn't he?

No comments:

Post a Comment