Wednesday, September 8, 2010

I'm BAAAAACK... and coming to you from NY.

GYDUN, my dearest, I am so excited to finally have some adventures to share with you! I know it's been a while, but I now have internet access and some exciting things to share.

Yesterday morning I awoke especially early to run to an emergency eye doc appointment before I headed up to New York. Don't worry, don't worry, I only have a reoccurring eye infection that has been pestering me for about a month because apparently I am allergic to my contact solution... so I am again on steroids to help ease the pain.

Eventually I was able to go home and Lauren and I packed up the Yukon and headed to DFW. Our first flight was to Cincinnati whatever airport (which is actually in Kentucky) and for the however many hours we were on that flight I read this month's issue of NYLON magazine. In the last thirty minutes of the flight we had terrible turbulence that felt as though God had grabbed our plane and shaken it up like you shake a ketchup bottle when the ketchup just WON'T come out. Naturally when we landed in Cincinnati?Kentucky? we were both feeling a little nauseated. We grabbed some lunch at Chik-fil-a, and not really remembering that the nuggets are fried, I got those... we had to rush to make our connecting flight, and we were kind of afraid that people would be angry with us for eating aromatic food on the plane. Soon after we made our departure however, we noticed that the man in our row was creating quite a stink of his own that had nothing to do with food he brought on board...

This is a snapshot of my tray on this flight... don't I look like a fun traveling companion?

It was mostly uneventful. I listened to lots of music and laughed a little aloud while reading. Damn you, David Sedaris! Oh just kidding, Davey, I think you're the tops.

So when we finally got to NY, we noticed that there was this Hacidic Jew waiting for his baggage with us and I was like... "OH, HOLY ROLLER!" (Lauren said it would be rude to take his picture... or I would have featured him here). If you don't get the joke watch the following:

After a $35-ish cab ride we made it to our apartment where we met up with Jodi and this guy named Solomon, who is the boyfriend of the girl who we're subletting from. Our room is her old "meditation room" and has a bed that has a mattress that is not a twin, but not quite the size of a full. We also have tons of room, but zero furniture or closet space. We threw our stuff in the apartment, signed our lease, and left for 5th avenue... the happenin' area of park slope. That's right, y'all, we're staying in Brooklyn. Aaaand I really like it. It's kind of hipstery and urban and it has lots of trees and feels very homey. We went to a Thai restaurant for dinner and kind of shared some food... but I wasn't very impressed with any of it. Afterwords we went to Jodi's house where we met her puppies and borrowed tons of towels and sheets.

We went home to drop it all off and then walked a half mile or so to Target where we went in looking for something to make a makeshift closet and ended up buying a 5' by 5' portable closet. I got to carry it back home where we spent about thirty minutes putting it together. I'm quite proud of it.

We eventually went to sleep, which I found difficult because it was SO HOT in our room. We had to wake up about five hours later to get ready for our day today.

OH TODAY. It was a long, long, day.
7:50am- left the house
8:00am- got on the train
8:30am~ we got to the garment district
8:45am- we got in line at Starbucks
9:00am- the workday began...
11:30am- we headed to the University store to open it
12:30pm- we had lunch at a Greek place, and it was so yummy! We split hummus with spicy sun-dried tomatoes and pesto and a really good Labane wrap
1:30pm- back to the University store where we met some really nice people and their pets. We also played dress up to see how things fit...

4:15pm- we left University to go to the Brooklyn store
5:00pm-arrived at Brooklyn store, met more pets and people
7:00pm-closed up shop
7:15pm- went to a pre-Fashion's Night Out party at a local vintage shop
8:00pm- went to din din at Building on Bond where we split a grilled cheese and tomato soup as well as some fancy avocado, sprouts, and chutney sandwich with fries... I was not a big fan of the chutney. then our waiter, mark, told us we really needed to try their Pimm's cup, so we did. After our meal we ended up talking to Mark and we found out that he was from McAllen, TX. We came all the way to Bond St. in Brooklyn to meet someone from Texas. Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment