Sunday, September 19, 2010

Marijuana was in the air: Modest Mouse, Brooklyn, NY

This past week I had the pleasure to see Modest Mouse in Brooklyn, NY. Oh my gosh, it was amazing. The morning after I had zero voice to speak of, but I had a grin plastered to my face.

Well, we didn't know much about the show other than where it was (Williamsburg Waterfront... a really cool venue) and we had a tentative open-the-doors time (FIVE O'CLOCK? Yeah, everyone was confused!) Lauren and I left work around five and reached Williamsburg by 5:45pm... when we found the Waterfront we were shocked at the number of people waiting for the show. There was a line all the way down the city block, and then it trailed around the side of another block! It was so funny! There were tons of angsty high school kids there, smoking cigarettes and wearing clothes from Urban Outfitters and American Apparel. We found the end of the line and sat down in some rocks and Lauren almost burned a hole in her jeans with a not-quite-extinguished butt.

We got inside and immediately sought out the alcohol. The venue was split into two sections... and we headed to the twenty-one and up side. Once we got there we realized that we had to get wristbands from a booth about a football field away... so we had to head across the venue to get those. Then we had to buy drink tickets, and then we were permitted to head back across the way to finally do some damage! We tried to cross the border at three different places... and like the saying goes, 'the third time was the charm!' They were super serious about under-age drinking!!! We immediately got a beer (Brooklyn Brewery Pennant Ale, for me) and then we found a spot near the front of that section (let's face it- we weren't exactly planning on leaving!)

We stood around a little bit... and then decided to settle down for a while because we really weren't sure when it was going to start! I must have done a little bit of a sitting forward bend because the next thing I heard was some boy next to me asking if I was really stretching before the concert. It was kind of funny, but we started talking to him and his friend, some girl who he was friends with, and we were all just commenting about all the super young kids at the show. Really, anyone who couldn't get into the twenty-one & up crowd really can't say that they LOVE Modest Mouse, I mean, they didn't grow up listening to them, you know? Eventually the conversation led to getting more drinks, guessing who the opening band was, and trying each others' beverage selections... a little bit sketchy, I must admit. Before we knew it, a wingman to our right pulled out some weed. It was definitely ideal.

Throughout the night, the only thing that really put a shadow on our mood was this really short & squatty girl who cut ahead of us with her very tall boyfriend... other than that though, the show was amazing.

I love Modest Mouse. I love that so much of their music has been the soundtrack to the important times in my life. I have followed them through high school, college, and beyond. They were with me when I first learned the "F" word, got ready for some memorable first dates, journeyed in California, and they comforted me on the worst night of my life when I was called to help a friend in her darkest hours. Modest Mouse will always be more to me than a passing muse. I am beyond excited that I got to see them in this fun time in my life.
THANK YOU, BOYS.

View of Manhattan from Williamsburg Waterfront


So proud of ourselves for getting a drink! It only took an hour and a half!!!


I love Lauren, she's my best friend!


At one point in the afternoon, we decided to compare the length of our legs... I have no idea why.

To Modest Mouse: "You're the good things, yeah that's you, yeah, that's you, yeah"

No comments:

Post a Comment