Saturday, July 3, 2010

What I'm Reading: June/July

This month I've been trying a concept that's a little foreign to me... I've been reading several books at once. Although my best friend is capable of reading a chapter here, a chapter there and is able to remember more of her two titles than I am of my one, I am still not sure that is my strength. I've never been too good at juggling. I once dated two boys at the same time and it was probably the most stressful two months of my entire life.

Well anyways... here's what I've been reading.

I started with The Fountainhead by the uber-intelligent and talented Ayn Rand. If you know a little bit about me, you know that last summer I read We the Living and was completely changed by it. (While I understand that Objectivism is a little selfish by nature I am fully enthralled with it.) Before I digress... The Fountainhead is about two young architects and the paths their lives are going down.


In the first section of the book we meet Howard Roark on the day he gets expelled from his college. Instead of feeling upset or angry, Howard decides that he will be a top architect without his diploma. He builds not what his clients want, but what he believes is fitting and beautiful. He builds what makes him happy. Peter Keating, on the other hand, is the perfectionist who graduated at the top of his class. He works tirelessly to advance his career and is perfectly willing to step on anyone and anyone in the process. And although he is considered to be the golden boy in the architecture world of New York, he is so self-conscious that he frequently seeks the advice of former classmate, Howard Roark.
I am in love with this book. I may be in love with Roark. He is a character that I can totally relate to and who I wish could exist somewhere on this earth. Although I have made a small chip in the book's 700+ pages, I am still far from finished. Reading an Ayn Rand novel is a huge commitment and takes a lot of focus and passion to finish! Her books are not for the faint of heart or the "beach reader". I cannot wait to finish this book! But at the same time, I don't want to finish it too soon...

For a little comedic relief, I began reading David Sedaris' When You Are Engulfed in Flames after a stranger recommended it to me. We were sitting next to each other on a plane, I, of course, was reading Ayn Rand, and she, David Sedaris. So I went out and got it. I really haven't been able to get into it a lot... I'll hopefully be able to finish it this month- but so far I have slightly enjoyed it. I feel as though David Sedaris is my uncle and although he is witty and has good intentions, he can get to be slightly crotchety at times... but just like my uncles, he is quite a good storyteller. Hopefully as I read on I will be able to create a better opinion on the book.


Finally, after seeing previews for the new film The Killer Inside me (directed by Michael Winterbottom and starring Casey Affleck, Kate Hudson, and Jessica Alba), I knew I had to read the book by Jim Thompson. I couldn't put this book down. Instead of showers I took hot baths so I could sit and read while bathing. I also shamelessly asked my mother several times to blow dry my hair so that I could read during that time. Jim Thompson is such a chilling writer- I cannot wait to read another of his novels. Read this book before you see the film! You will not be sorry!


See it at the Angelika in Dallas! Opens July 16th! I'll be there with LM somewhere near the back of the theater! I cannot wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment