Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Miss Manners

Last week my brother broke up with his girlfriend... with a text message. First of all, I was really excited that he broke up with her... not only did she cheat on him, but she was manipulative and generally bitchy. But when I found out that he had texted her that he no longer wanted to be in a relationship with her I was extremely disappointed in him. Hearing that story brought back memories of an instance when I was dumped via a message on my phone. Even though I thought his girlfriend was a really awful girl, I can't help but empathize with her.

One morning I woke up and had a message from my boyfriend, Logan, that he didn't want me to come to his track meet that day because he was getting back together with his ex-girlfriend... I was irate. What? He's getting back together with her? I was so angry that he didn't have the courage to end things in person, and then there was a certain feeling of betrayal I felt towards my phone after it didn't warn me of the message of doom sitting in my inbox. I was completely caught unawares, much like my brother's girlfriend must have been. After trying to word my frustrations to Logan, I made a pretty bad joke like "don't you watch youtube? you can't text message break up!" Oh how my jokes tend to make things less awkward... not.

But that's really not the point. Well, I was talking about my brother's situation with some people and we got into a discussion about technology and communication... and to make a long story short... I have been invited to give a presentation on etiquette and technology/communication to YMSL (Young Men's Service League) in Southlake. Oh boy. What have I gotten myself into? I have no idea what to talk about to forty high school boys...

Maybe I'll show them this?

1 comment: