Friday, July 10, 2009

Thinking about Halfway points

Well, it's hard to believe, but my time in California is half over. Gosh, the time has just flown by! I can hardly imagine that a whole month has passed since I left Texas to head west. When I think about all the places I've been and all the things I've seen this month, I can't help but get a little sentimental and think of all the things I've been blessed with. I'll spare you my heart's every feeling, but I will say that I'm so satisfied with my decision to come to California and leave Texas (at least temporarily) behind me.

Today was really a fun day. I had an early start this morning. I was supposed to meet an insurance agent in Petaluma at 9am, and so I made sure to get there extra early so I wouldn't be late (I'm notorious for running on Dyer time... a state of mind that I'm trying to break.) Well I got to Petaluma around 8:35, so naturally, I went to Starbucks. I've become addicted to coffee ever since coming to California... I don't know if it's due to the fact that Robbie has been making me espressos with his fancy new Nespresso machine or if it's because I've been needing caffiene to get myself awake in the morning, but I've been drinking a lot of zebra mochas and iced hazlenut coffees at Starbucks. Hopefully this expensive habit will be broken when I head back to school in August, but it will most likely stick due to my after-hours float schedule... (insert excitment and dread here). Oh well, while at Starbucks this morning I read some of We the Living, and I'm starting to understand why Josh warned me that it's so sad. It breaks my heart a little each time I start reading again, oh but you'll have to read it too, (it's that good-I don't want to spoil it for you!) The insurance woman never showed up, so I decided to go on to work.

Work was really fun today, I made a few pieces of jewelry that will be up on the website later next week... so I'll make sure to point them out then, and I worked on some web boutique and facebook things... a few neat things happened at work...
When I went out to get lunch, I ran down the boulevard to Subway and grabbed a sandwich and then headed straight back to the studio so I could eat with everyone else. As I was walking up to our building, there were some young vagabonds sitting outside of a sushi restaurant playing a little ukelele and playing with a dog. A boy who was probably my age, maybe a little older, spoke to me.. "hello miss, would you like to donate to our cause?" I noticed that the crotch of his jeans was completely patched with leopard print material and that the dog had a little collar made of paper that said "if found, please give me a good home". These kids looked like they were just hanging out... they didn't really look like they were down on their luck or anything like that, but I was intrigued. No one had ever asked me for money quite like that. He was just so open about it, so I asked him... "What's your cause?" And he simply told me that they were hungry. I liked their fresh approach... so I gave them a dollar.


When I got back to the studio, Melissa had just picked up our new drusy rings and pendants and had them out on our production table. I picked a ring up and slipped it on my right hand's middle finger. I don't know how else to describe it, but the ring felt like it belonged on my finger. It was like love at first sight, only, I fell in love with this ring. Oh, I want this ring so badly.

After work I ran over to Zenergy Yoga studio for the most intense "beginner's" yoga class I've ever been to. Sophomore year of college I did a yoga class about three days a week for six months (and loved it), but I never got this deep into the downward facing dog position. Gosh, I'm pretty sure my entire body is going to hurt tomorrow, the pain is already starting in my ankles! Towards the end of the class he had us get blankets and a chair to do the half-plow and full-plow positions. Never in my life have I ever used a chair in a yoga class. I'm sure it isn't uncommon, but every time he would have us do something a little more advanced, everyone in the class would share uncertain glances. When I got up into the full plow, I kind of felt a little cocky because although I haven't done yoga in a while, I was definitely better than half of the people in the class, and I'm kind of really good at the full plow. Well, God quickly crushed my cocky attitude with a little charlie horse that tensed up the tendon that goes straight through my middle toe. Oh it was so painful, and for a minute I had to bring all my limbs back to earth and sit Indian style until I could get all my movement back. God has a funny sense of humor doesn't he? Nevertheless, it was a fun class, and I plan on going back.

Let me leave you with this song... it's not about halfway points, but new beginnings:
"First Day of my Life" by Bright Eyes

listen to it

No comments:

Post a Comment